This is a piece I wrote for a very special English teacher I once had.
She was my Louder Than A Bomb coach, who was amazing.
[There was going to be a picture of our Slam team here, but it wont work. :(]
Diana Zwinak is the woman who got me where I am today; she is also the founder of a Non-Profit Organization I am a member of called Teen Writers And Artists Project.
[There was going to be a picture of me and her here but it wont work either. :(]
A very wise teacher once told me
To color with all the crayons in the box.
Now?
I color with all the office supplies.
I thank that wonderful woman
For bringing color into my life
And not just the literal color,
But the metaphorical ones too
Now I see a bad day as gray
With hints and flecks of red
And I paint you a picture
With my words.
I don’t know how I do it
And I have no clue why
But she has helped me to see my gift
And taught me how to use it.
Now I want to do the same
I want to inspire
I want to help.
I want to be that teacher that I had.
The one that at least one student
One writer
One person
One life to change, to make better
To help at least one person.
The way you helped me.
The way you inspired me.
The way you taught me to interpret the ramblings of my mind
And turn it into art.
So thank you.
If not for you, I would not be here.
At this desk
Writing this poem
Procrastinating doing my Intro to American Education homework.
Because of you, I am here
Trying to become an English teacher
Holding back tears
And holding onto the past
As I reach for the future.
Because I hope that I can bring part of you
To my students,
Because that’s one of the best things
I can ever give them.
So thank you,
I can’t even fathom
The impact you’ve had on my life.
But I need to tell you.
Because you need to know that
You are the reason I'm here.
Again, I feel that my weeks end on Sundays, therefore this is my post from last week. I really am glad that I am an English Ed major, and for those who have read my CA-1, you really can tell how much Diana Zwinak has influenced my life. She is an amazing woman and I can only hope that you had a teacher like her in your life. She always did say that we should color with all the crayons in the box. She probably still does. But what that always meant is to never let someone’s view of you effect what you write about or how you write it. Write it however you want to, because writing is expression, and only you know how to express yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment